How do we enter into the festive mood and feast? Obviously, before we serve the delicious main course, we want to tease our guests, and don’t kid ourselves, us too, with the something simple but yet mouth-watering and naturally keto-friendly Thanksgiving appetizers. Here are two recipes you can’t fail.
Creamy Smoked Salmon Dip
Looking for a low-carb Thanksgiving recipe to take along, or serve at your own holiday gathering? This creamy smoked salmon dip is a crowd-pleasure for sure. For the non-keto eaters, put out crackers, as well as low-carb dippers such as fresh veggies including celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, radishes, broccoli and cauliflower.
- 4 packages full-fat cream cheese
- 1 package smoked salmon or 1 smoked salmon filet
- 6 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh veggies for dipping, including celery, cucumber, bell pepper, and radishes
Soften cream cheese by letting it sit out for about 15 minutes. You can also soften it in the microwave by removing the cream cheese blocks from their foil packaging and placing in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Add smoked salmon to a separate mixing bowl and use a fork to break up the fish just as you would if you were making tuna salad. Combine with the softened cream cheese and mix together thoroughly. Add in other ingredients and mix again.
Use a rubber spatula to scoop all of the salmon dip from the bowl and set it in a clean Pyrex pan or dip bowl. Wash and slice up veggies to present along with the dip.
Buttery Bacon Clam Dip With Veggie Slices
Warm, savory clam dip is always a favorite around the holidays. In this keto-friendly version, we omit the bread crumbs, and substitute fresh veggie slices for crackers. Other low-carb friendly dippers might include pork rinds and homemade keto crackers.
- 2 cans chopped clams (reserve juice)
- 2 pieces of bacon, crumbled
- 2 packages full-fat cream cheese
- 2 ribs celery, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs. melted butter
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cayenne to taste
- Assorted, low-carb sliced veggies such as celery, cucumbers, tomato halves, green peppers, olives, radishes and broccoli florets and stalks.
Begin by removing the cream cheese from the package and softening in a mixing bowl. Heat the butter in a skillet on medium-low until melted. Add the garlic, onion and celery bits and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped clams and clam juice. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium-low for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
Add the clam mixture to the cream cheese. Mix in the crumbled bacon and chopped parsley, and season everything with the Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and cayenne.
Use a spatula to transfer the clam dip to a serving bowl. Serve with sliced veggies.